The Exchange Visitor (J1) Visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa, which allows a foreign employee to be actively engaged in on the job training under circumstances equivalent to that of an American employee in the same situations.
The J1 visa is applicable for: au pairs, summer workers/travelers, professors, research scholars and assistants etc. The applicant must be accepted as a participant in an American exchange program and be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements as well as the specific requirements and regulations each category requires.
- To remain in America for a temporary, specific, limited period
- Hold a valid passport
- Have been offered an exchange program placement through a designated sponsoring organisation
- Meet the requirements for the exchange program
- Have sufficient funds to cover expenses
- Intend to return to their home country after finishing the program